With thousands of students and employees coming to campus each day, the University encourages the use of alternative transportation options. However, the safety of our campus community remains the top priority. With the increase in use of mopeds and electric stand-up scooters across campus, it is important that they are operated in a safe manner and in accordance with University regulations.
- It is illegal for mopeds to operate on sidewalks and/or in bike lanes.
- You may not park at bike racks, sign posts, trees, on the grass, stairways, etc.
- Mopeds are to…
- Follow all traffic laws just like any other motor vehicle.
- Yield to pedestrians
- Be registered with UNC Transportation and Parking
- Park in designated areas
- If a motorist doesn’t see you, don’t be afraid to use your horn.
- Remember that motorists often have trouble seeing motorcycles and reacting in time.
- Make sure your headlight works and is on day and night.
- Be aware of the blind spots cars and trucks have.
- Flash your brake light when you are slowing down and before stopping.
Dress for Safety
- Always wear a helmet, it is required by law. Failure to wear helmet on a motorcycle or moped will result in a fine from $25 to $75.
- Remember – the only thing between you and the road is your protective gear.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing, long pants, and a light-colored helmet.
- Wear leather or other thick, protective clothing.
Apply Effective Driving Strategies:
- Search for potential hazards
- Evaluate any possible hazards
- Execute proper action to avoid.
- Give yourself space and time to respond to other motorists’ actions.
- Give other motorists time and space to respond to you.
- Use lane positioning to be seen; ride in the part of a lane where you are most visible.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Avoid weaving between lanes.
- Know and follow the rules of the road, and stick to the speed limit.
- Stay out of traffic, as much as possible
- Ride electric scooters on roadways.
- Ride on the right with the flow of traffic.
- Follow the rules of the road and obey traffic signs and signals.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Wear a helmet.
- Don’t drink and ride.
Walk Your Wheels on Walkways
- Electric scooters are not permitted to operate on campus sidewalks or walkways per the University’s Traffic and Parking Ordinance.
- If you choose to take a scooter onto campus walkways or green spaces, you must dismount and ‘walk your wheels’.
- Electric scooters should be parked (and locked) at campus bicycle racks.
- Scooters should not be parked against or attached to trees, railings, light poles or signposts.
- Do not park scooters in a way that will obstruct pedestrian or ADA access.
- Scooters should not be brought inside residence halls or other University buildings.