Skip to main content
Who must comply with the Protection of Minors on Campus Policy?
All University faculty, staff, volunteers, interns and students, as well as outside third parties (including contractors) who are authorized to use University facilities or properties.
What are the consequences for violating the Protection of Minors on Campus Policy?
Violations of the Policy may result in disciplinary action for any University employee, whether paid or volunteer, up to and including termination of employment.

Violations of the Policy also may result in discontinuation of the program or banning of the program from use of University facilities.

What is Direct Contact?
Direct Contact is defined as having one-to-one contact (personal, unsupervised interaction between any adult and minor participant without at least one other adult present), and/or contact with minors through care, guidance, control or supervision, and/or the time period is long enough to develop an intimate relationship with a minor.
What is a full-time employee?
An employee who works 32 hours or more per week and has no break in service, not including vacations.
What is a full-time student?
A student who has paid tuition and is enrolled as a full-time student with no break in attendance longer than 120 days.
What is seasonal program staff?
Any program staff member or student that has had a break in service or attendance longer than 120 days.
Who is exempt from background checks?
  • Volunteers, employees, or administrative staff who do not have direct contact with minors because they do not provide care, supervision, guidance or control of minors and do not have routine interaction with minors.
  • Enrolled students volunteering for organizations which are not affiliated with the University and are not hosted on campus. For example, Boys and Girls Clubs of America. May be subject to the background check requirements of the non-affiliated organization.
  • Student volunteers/hosts/guides for undergraduate admissions events where participants are enrolled students.
  • Staff and volunteers working at events/facilities open to the public or where parents/guardians accompany minors.
  • Staff and volunteers working in research projects with minors that have been reviewed and approved by the IRB. (Although policy compliance is encouraged regarding training, as they are mandated reporters of suspected maltreatment.)
  • Staff and volunteers hosting some campus tours, visitation programs or field trips where no overnight stay is required and there is no direct contact may be exempt. Contact the Office of Protection of Minors on Campus to ensure your program is exempt.
Who do I contact in the event of a medical emergency or other program questions?
In the event of a medical emergency call 911. When the situation is under control, contact the Protection of Minors Office at 919-843-8995 to report the incident.

In the event of program questions, contact the Protection of Minors Office at 919-843-8995.

A camper has allergies and requires an epi-pen. What are my responsibilities?
Get a list of specific allergies from the child’s pediatrician and/or parent and take precautions not to expose the child to those allergens. Ensure staff is trained by a medical professional on the use of an epi-pen and that the epi-pen is available for use at all times.
A camper requires daily doses of a prescribed medication. Who is required to administer the medication?
In the event any participants require administration of medications while participating in the program, necessary procedures should be established with the guidance of the participant’s pediatrician. Non-prescription drugs should be dispensed only under written health care procedures or signed instruction of the parent.

It is recommended that all drugs be stored under lock.

What is the ratio of staff to campers?
General minimum ratios of staff on duty with campers in day and resident camp settings are recognized by the American Camp Association. Eighty percent of staff used to meet supervision ratios must be at least 18, and all staff must be at least 16 years old and two years older than the minors with whom they’re working.

UNC-Chapel Hill requires at least one adult supervisor (an individual 18 years of age or older whose primary function is that of supervision while in the halls and on campus) for every 15-20 youth and at least one adult supervisor per residence hall floor.

Is it appropriate for minors to work in a laboratory setting?
  • If youth are engaged in laboratories or research activities, seek advice on appropriate training and protocols.
  • The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Department of Environment, Health and Safety offers training and protocols.
  • You will also be required to complete a registration form separately from those required by the Protection of Minors policy.
Can I have one-to-one contact with a minor?
If one-to-one interaction is absolutely required, meet in open, well-illuminated spaces or rooms with windows observable by other adults unless the one-to-one interaction is expressly authorized by the Program Director, a Dean, a Department chair, or unless the interaction involves a health care provider providing health care services.

If you need to check on a minor in a private area such as a dorm room, locker room, or restroom, bring another adult along.

  • Younger campers should be accompanied to the restrooms by an adult or buddy.
  • Older campers (high school) should either utilize a buddy system or have a check in/out system to insure they return in an appropriate time and are not at risk.
What is the protocol when a non-authorized person wants to pick up a child from the program?
  • Know who is authorized, and not authorized, to pick up each child.
  • Obtain a written statement if the child is to be released to someone other than those persons designated on the application form (this person must bring identification).
  • Do not release a child to anyone younger than 16 years of age or to anyone who arrives intoxicated or questionably under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • If it is a non-custodial parent who is demanding to remove the child, call 911 immediately.
Is it okay to give a minor program participant access to my social media page, my personal email, and/or my personal telephone number?
Do not engage or communicate with minors through email, text messages, social networking websites, Internet chat rooms, or other forms of social media at any time except and unless there is an educational or programmatic purpose, and the content of the communication is consistent with the purpose of the program and available to all program participants.
Who is mandated to report abuse or neglect of a minor?
Both as a matter of University policy and North Carolina state law, any member of the University community, including students, who reasonably suspects that a minor has been abused or neglected by a parent, guardian, caregiver, or staff member has an absolute obligation to report that suspicion to the appropriate County Department of Social Services.

Reporting requirements under the Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017
S.534, or The Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017

The law expands existing mandated reporting laws to all youth sport organizations that participate in international and inter-state sporting events. Any adult who is authorized to interact with youth athletes will be required to report suspicions of abuse to the appropriate law enforcement agencies within 24 hours. Therefore, all staff and volunteers working with youth could be considered mandatory reporters under the federal act.

There is an additional requirement to report suspicions to the U.S. Center for Safe Sport if your organization is governed by a “National Governing Body” or “Paralympic Sports Organization”.

Am I protected if I make a report?
North Carolina law provides that anyone who makes a report in good faith or who participates in an investigation by the Department of Social Services will be protected from any criminal or civil liability that might arise from the individual’s report or participation. University policy prohibits retaliation against anyone who makes a good faith report of abuse or neglect with regard to the terms and conditions of University employment or educational activities.
What if I do not make a report?
North Carolina law makes it illegal to not report child abuse. Any person or institution that has reason to suspect that a child is abused, neglected or dependent, or died as the result of maltreatment, must report it.

Failure to Report Gen. Stat. § 7B-301: Any person or institution who knowingly or wantonly fails to report the abuse as required, or who knowingly or wantonly prevents another person from making a report as required, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.