September: Be Informed
Knowledge of an ongoing situation and the resources available to you are central components of preparedness. Through a variety of methods, Campus Safety officials continually seek to keep the campus informed to any incidents involving a potential threat to our students, faculty, staff and visitors. Just as situational awareness encourages you to be aware of your surroundings, staying informed encourages you to be aware of the University’s communication methods, including how information is distributed, what type of information you will receive and how quickly you can expect to receive it.
Make sure everyone can receive, understand and act on information received in an emergency.
Register your cellphone with Alert Carolina.
The Alert Carolina Emergency Notification System communicates in multiple ways with the Carolina community in the event of an emergency or dangerous situation.
Remember, anyone can download the Carolina Ready Safety App to receive Alert Carolina messages.
Use official information sources.
In the event of an alert on campus, the Alert Carolina website will be updated frequently with official instructions and information about the incident, campus services and resources available to the campus community.
Certain social media channels, depending on the alert type, also share Alert Carolina notifications:
- Alert Carolina Twitter
- UNC-Chapel Hill Twitter and UNC-Chapel Hill Facebook
- UNC Police Twitter and UNC Police Facebook
- Transportation and Parking Twitter and Transportation and Parking Facebook
- New Student and Family Programs Facebook
Know emergency resources available to you.
- Carolina Ready Website – The central location for University emergency preparedness information that will help you Be Informed of how the University communicates emergency information, Be Prepared with creating personal emergency plans and Take Action when emergencies occur.
- Carolina Ready Safety App – The app includes emergency alerts, tools for staying safe on campus, emergency response guides and a variety of health and wellness resources.
- Emergency Preparedness 101 – This computer-based training course will help increase your ability to prepare for and respond to an emergency on campus.
- Alert Carolina Website – In the event of an alert on campus, this website will be updated frequently with instructions and information about the incident, campus services and resources available to the campus community.
- UNC Police Programs and Services – UNC Police provides several programs and services to help educate our Carolina community on crime reduction and other safety initiatives.
- Carolina Housing – Carolina Housing provides information on keeping you safe and fire safety protocols while in residential halls.
Like Alert Carolina on campus, our local counties also have their own emergency notification system to alert you about emergencies and other important community news off campus. These systems provide you with critical information quickly in a variety of situations, such as severe weather, hazardous materials, unexpected road closures, missing persons, water and sewer emergencies, and evacuations of buildings or neighborhoods.
- If you live in Orange County (Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough) – Sign up for Orange County Alerts
- If you live in Durham County (Durham, portions of Chapel Hill) – Sign up for Durham County Alerts